Depending on how we use the sofa it can take a lot of wear and tear.. From eating TV dinner to watching a movie with your pet snuggled up against you. The couch can capture body oils, cooking odours, dust mites and allergies and they will be lurking in your sofa causing allergies and irritation to airways.Eating on your sofa really isn’t ideal, food particles, sticky finger marks and spilt drinks can all occur from enjoying a snack on the sofa. Keep eating at the table. If you do like to indulge on your sofa you need to keep it clean or at least cover with a washable throw.
Hoover it daily and invest in a good upholstery cleaner or leather cleaner . Take off cushion covers and wash these as often as you can. As well puff your cushions and lightly steam.
My Sofa Cleaning Tips
Bicarbonate of Soda is great for a lot of things, including the removal of grime and embedded dirt in your sofa. Test the fabric first in an inconspicuous area, but Bicarbonate of Soda is safe for most types of upholstery. You will need a couple of cleaning cloths, a a stiff brush, Bicarbonate of Soda and your vacuum cleaner with the smaller brush attachment.
- Use the stiff brush to brush away crumbs, dust, and other debris.
- Sprinkle the couch with bicarbonate of soda which you can also mix with an essential oil if you wish and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use the brush attachment on your vacuum to thoroughly remove the baking soda or mixture.
- If you have a steamer very lightly steam just to ensure your killing germs. Always hold approx 30cm away from the fabric
- Finish of with a Dettol antibacterial spray of a fabric refresher.
For any tough stains that are still present mix together 3/4 cup warm water, 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and one tablespoon of washing up liquid and scrub the mixture in with a hard brush and then blot dry.
Other methods to try for stains which I have tried and tested are:
There are plenty more cleaning tips and home hacks so take a read
Now you know how to deep clean your fabric sofa so that it not only looks like new but smells fresh and clean.
Thanks for reading lynsey Queen of Clean xoxo